Laser or CNC Cut, Heat Treated Flexible Steel instead of Flexible Silicon

Funktion, Ratschlaege, Fragen,.....
Forumsregeln
Falls hier theoretische Hilfen angeboten werden, so sollen und können sie keinen Uhrmacher ersetzen. Sie sind ohne jede Garantie oder Gewähr und jeder muss selbst wissen, was er sich zutrauen kann und dass man mit einem Selbstversuch evtl. leichtfertig die Uhr zerstören könnte. Vor allen Dingen wertvolle Uhren gehören in die Hand eines Fachmanns. Vielleicht sogar eines Fachmanns hier aus dem Forum. Laien sollten unbedingt den oben angepinnten Hinweis über Uhrenfedern lesen.
Antworten
Mustafa Umut Sarac

Laser or CNC Cut, Heat Treated Flexible Steel instead of Flexible Silicon

Beitrag von Mustafa Umut Sarac » Di 26. Mai 2020, 21:24

I am investigating the possibility to use steel instead of silicon in flexible rods or rotors of watch mechanisms. It would not be precise to cut these heat treated steel parts by laser but they would lower the count of parts used at watches.

What kind of steel and its heat treatment flexes like silicon ? I think a steel with lowest carbon ratio which will be at transition to iron to steel border, would work as best.

I think above steel is used by jews harp musical instrument lamellas with around of 780 degrees heat treatment for most vibration.

Does it still flex like silicon ? I want to know .

Thanks,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
Istanbul

Taloon

Re: Laser or CNC Cut, Heat Treated Flexible Steel instead of Flexible Silicon

Beitrag von Taloon » Sa 13. Jun 2020, 21:24

You wont find any silicon parts in -normal- watch movements. A silicon part is just some kind of special feature for luxury brands to explain their customers why their movements are that expensive ;)
Want to see a strange example? Take a look at Antoine Martins "Slowrunner"-Watch with its silicon hairspring... https://youtu.be/l6usMiFyEEI
I think if you want to make a escape wheel or something like that steel will be the best choice but good wheels can also be made from brass or even gold.
A watchmaker normaly will use carbon steel with about ~1,1% carbon (115CrV3 "Silberstahl"). The proper heat treatment for a certain steel can be looked up in its datasheet.

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Re: Laser or CNC Cut, Heat Treated Flexible Steel instead of Flexible Silicon

Beitrag von Mustafa Umut Sarac » Di 7. Jul 2020, 22:36

Talon,

I want to make a escape Wheel completely flexible and not does not own an spring. It must be keep time with 1 hz flexes. Do you understand what I mean ? These kinds of flexible escape wheels been made with silicon. I want to learn is it possible to use steel in the flexible part ?

Second question , where can I read how much heat treatment change flexibility ? And does steel flex like silicon ?

Danke,

Umut

Antworten